Wagyu Steak and Furikake Seared Tuna recipe: This delightful combination of premium Wagyu steak and expertly seared tuna, seasoned with the unique flavors of Furikake, promises an unparalleled dining experience that seamlessly blends the rich umami of Japanese cuisine with the succulence of surf and turf.
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
Thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this recipe Visit their website to learn more.
- Preheat your grill, setting it up for direct cooking with a cast iron plate for searing the steak and an indirect zone for warming.
- Insert a thermometer into the Wagyu steak and place it on the indirect heat zone.
- Slowly smoke the steak until it reaches a core temperature of 48ºC or 118ºF, maintaining the BBQ temperature at 120ºC or 250ºF.
- Once the steak reaches the desired temperature, remove it from the grill and let it rest.
- Spread mayonnaise over the tuna steak.
- Prepare the Furikake BBQ Rub, adding extra chili flakes if desired.
- Sprinkle the rub over the tuna; the mayonnaise will help it adhere.
- Heat up the grill even more.
- Cook the rice, using a Japanese rice pot with water.
- Grill the vegetables until tender on the grilling grate.
- Coat the cast iron plate with sunflower oil once it's extra hot. Sear the tuna steak on all sides, allowing it to rest afterward.
- Apply beef tallow to the cast iron plate.
- Season both sides of the Wagyu steak with Pitmasterx Beef Rub and grill briefly on the cast iron plate.
- Plate by arranging the rice with grilled vegetables. Cut the tuna steak into small cubes and garnish with fresh wasabi.
- Finally, slice the Wagyu steak and place it on the tuna.
- Optionally, top with a raw egg yolk for added richness. Enjoy your Japanese Surf and Turf masterpiece!