Have you ever tried a venison roast? Have you ever tried a venison rack? Cooking with wild deer means something special to me. It’s the deepest respect you can have for food. You take something that has been living in the wild so you are supposed to honor it by preparing it in the best way possible.This recipe will show you how to make that big venison show piece and it will taste amazing.A giant venison roast stuffed with extremely tasty goodness. Perfect flavor combinations for a winter BBQ feast.
- 1800 grams venison rack 2 racks of 900 gr
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- ¼ tbsp ground black pepper
- Cranberry Stuffing
- 60 grams butter
- 1 white onion fine chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 110 ml red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 4 pepper corns
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 200 ml beef fond
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Season the rack up front with fleur de sel sea salt.
- Make the enitre cranberry stuffing recipe ( link is in the ingredient section )
- Put around 4/5 long pieces of butcher twine on the cutting board.
- Place the 2 racks against each other, bones sticking out and flat on the table.
- Put the stuffing on top of the rack and fold it towards each other with the ribs crossing at the end.
- Tie it back together and ad some more knots with butcher twine if you feel you need to make it more firm.
- Fire up the BBQ. I'm using the bullet smoker which is perfect for longer cooks on charcoal. I'm using briquettes to have a longer lasting fuel source.
- Let it smoke for around 1½ hours at a temperature of 140°C/275°F untill you reach a temperature of 54°C/130°F .
- Melt a stick of butter in the pan.
- fry the garlic and onion in the butter.
- Add around 1 glass of red wine.
- Let it boil untill it almost vaporated.
- Add 1 bay leaf and beef fond and let it reduce by half.
- Finish off with salt and pepper and pour it trough a sieve.
- Slice the roast in half and pour the sauce on top of the bones.
Calories: 349kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 53gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 208mgSodium: 1014mgPotassium: 791mgFiber: 0.4gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 192IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 23mgIron: 8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!