In Germany, pork shanks cooked in a Dutch oven are renowned for their popularity and it's not hard to see why. This dish is a delightful combination of flavor, succulence, and affordability, making it a favorite among many. To prepare this mouthwatering delicacy, all you need is a high-quality Dutch oven.
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
2,5 kg / 5.5 lbs pork shank
- PitmasterX's Classic BBQ rub
40 bacon strips
12 white onion
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
700 grams / 3 cups BBQ sauce
- Layer the cast iron Dutch oven completely with bacon, both on the edge and the bottom.
- Slice a net of onions into rings and cover the bottom of the Dutch oven with onion rings.
- Slice 2 bell peppers into strips and place them on top of the onion.
- Season all the pork shanks with PitmasterX's Classic BBQ rub.
- Arrange the shanks upright in the Dutch oven.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the shanks to keep them moist and prevent drying.
- Fold the bacon strips toward the center.
- Preheat the BBQ with high heat.
- Let the Dutch oven come to a high temperature in about 45 minutes and then lower the heat.
- Simmer for 2 hours and check for tender, almost fall-off-the-bone texture (reaching 90°C or 194°F).
- Serve the shanks separately on a plate, topped with some of the bacon, onion and bell pepper.