If you're a fan of fried chicken drumsticks, but want to enjoy them without the guilt of deep-frying, then you're in luck! With a few simple steps, you can create delicious and crispy chicken drumsticks on the BBQ using hot air. Yes this recipe also works in the oven and in the air-fryer. So, fire up the grill and get ready to savor some delicious and guilt-free BBQ fried chicken drumsticks!
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
2 kilograms / 4.4 lbs chicken drumsticks
3 tbs table salt
3 tbs paprika powder
3 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
1 liter / 4 cups buttermilk
- 250 ml / 1 cup sweet and spicy hot sauce
300 grams 10 oz all purpose flour
500 grams / 1 lbs breadcrumbs
- Take a bowl and fill it with the salt, paprika powder, onion powder, garlic powder and 1 liter or 4 cups of buttermilk and mix it up.
- Add the drumsticks to the buttermilk.
- Cover the buttermilk chicken with cellophane and place it in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Fire up your Grill and set it up for indirect heat at a temperature of 250°C or 500°F.
- Create a breading station and dip the drumsticks in the flour, then the egg and finish with thick layer of panko.
- Stick the drumsticks carefully in the chicken rack upside down.
- Place al the drumsticks straight up in the chicken rack and let it roast in the BBQ with a closed lit.
- Check back after 10 minutes to see if the ends of the drumsticks are cooking faster. If so, cover them up with a sheet of aluminium foil.
- Make the sweet and spicy chicken hot-sauce.
- Once the drumsticks look crispy and golden brown and reached a core temperature of 75°C or 165°F they are done and its time to eat.