If you want to call yourself a true pitmaster you’ve got to do a crispy pork belly at least once in your life.Here is how to do it!
- BBQ gloves
5 spice mix
- 12 pieces star anise
- 1 tsp cloves
- 4 tsp chichuan peppercorns
- 2 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp Fenner
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Asian soya sauce
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chili infused oil
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp spring onions
- Dry up the skin side of your pork belly with a paper towel.
- Score the skin side of the pork belly slightly with a sharp knife at a 45 degree angle both directions.
- Flip it over and carve 3/4th into the pork belly meat in a straight angle both directions.
- Start grinding down 12 star anise, a teaspoon of cloves and 4 tablespoons of chichuan peppercorns.
- Mix it up with 2 tablespoons cinnamon powder, 2 tablespoons fennel, 1 teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Place the pork belly skin side down on a cooling rack or dripping tray.
- Get as much of the spice mix into all the nooks and crannies of the pork belly.
- And place your pork belly in a dripping tray skin side up into the BBQ and turn on the side burners.
- Let it run for around 3 hours at a temperature of 110°C/230°F.
- Then turn the heat up to 140°C/285°F for 1 more hour.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of soy sauce with 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons of water, 2 tablespoons of chili oil, half a tablespoon of sesame oil, a tablespoon of cilantro and a tablespoon of spring onions.
- Once your pork belly reached a temperature of 90°C/194°F turn off all the side burners and fully open up the back burner.
- Get some BBQ gloves and grab the pork belly into your hands so you can manually crisping up the skin side of their pork belly with the direct heat of the back burner.
Calories: 120kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 2gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 1104mgPotassium: 156mgFiber: 4gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 68IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 86mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Napoleon for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.