I had an idea to take a whole bread and turn it into something delicious. We, Dutch people, love our bread, and we are blessed we can buy delicious bread on every corner.
In America, they love their meatloaf, but it has nothing to do with a real loaf. I combined our love of bread with meatloaf and made the perfect breakfast recipe.
- 1 whole casino or Pullman loaf
- 2 diced onions
- 100 grams of chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 kilogram of ground beef
- 1 kilogram of ground pork
- 200 grams of cheese
- 1 egg
- Your favourite bbq sauce
For the bbq rub
- 1 part paprika powder
- 1 part onion powder
- 1 part salt
- 1/2 part ground black pepper
- Cut the top of the loaf and pull out the inside of the bread. Be careful not to rapture the outside because this is going to be the casing of the meatloaf. Put half of the bread in a bowl and feed the other half to the birds.
- Start up your grill and place a cast iron wok above direct heat. Melt a lump of butter and add the diced onions to soften.
- Then put in the chipotle in adobo sauce and stir it until the onions are browned. When they start to get dry, add some more butter. When the onions are dark brown, you take them out and take the wok off the grill.
- Combine the minced beef and pork with 1 egg and the bread. Add the onion mix and 4 tablespoons of the bbq rub. Mix this until you have a firm and even blend.
- Brush the inside of the loaf with bbq sauce and fill the bread halfway with the meat mix.
- Add a layer of cheese chunks and fill the bread with the rest of the meat. Push the meat in every corner, so you don’t have any empty parts.
- Convert the grill so you can cook with indirect heat off about 140°C (284F). Put the bread on the grates and stick a thermometer in the meat and close the lid.
- Cook the loaf until the meat reaches a core temperature of 70°C (158F). Place the top of the bread on the meatloaf for the last 10 minutes of the cook.
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.