I’ve got me a Wagyu Kagoshima tournedos with a crazy amount of marbling. And because this is a very expensive steak, I want to cook it to perfection. I don’t want to rush it and get a mediocre result.
This steak got all my attention to make the best dining experience I could create. Follow my steps, and you know exactly how to cook a $300 Wagyu tournedos.
- A Wagyu tournedos
- Maldon pyramid salt
For the green pepper sauce
- 1 shallot
- 100 grs of butter
- 1 tbsp of green peppercorns
- 100 ml of beef broth
- 100 ml of heavy cream
- Set up your grill with a grill plate if you’ve got one. Otherwise, use a cast-iron skillet. Warm up the plate until. This way, you can get the best crust without overcooking the meat. Let the plate come up to temperature in at least 30 minutes to ensure it’s piping hot.
- Clean the plate with a bit of oil and pour on a little bit to grill the tournedos on. Use vegetable oil with a high smoking point like canola, grapeseed or sunflower oil.
- Put the steak on the grill plate and let it sit until the meat comes loose by itself. Then you know you created a good crust. If you try to scrape it loose, the crust will tear off.
- Do this with all the sides and keep searing till you see a good caramelisation forming. Take it off the grill and let it cool down to stop the cooking process.
- Prepare the grill with 2 zones and a temperature of around 120°C (248F). Place the tournedos on the indirect side, with the thickest part closer to the heat. Stick a thermometer in the meat and close the lid.
- When the tournedos reaches a core temperature of 50°C (122F), we wrap them in aluminium foil and let them rest while we make the green pepper sauce.
- Put a pan over medium heat and let the butter melt. Then add the diced shallots and let them turn soft.
- Put the peppercorns in and wait till you smell the pepper. Then you know that they released their flavours in the sauce. Pour in the beef broth and the heavy cream, and let this simmer while you keep stirring. When the sauce thickens, it’s ready.
- Cut the steak in thick slices and sprinkle on a bit of pyramid salt. Serve it with the green pepper sauce.
Big thanks to Napoleon Grills for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.