Tri-Tip is the most amazing steak there is. I think it’s even better than picanha. It has a fantastic marbling and an excellent structure. And the most important part, it’s cheaper than picanha.I will grill this Tri-Tip caveman style to show you how easy it is to grill this fantastic steak.
How well is this recipe
- 1 whole Tri-Tip
- 1 part fleur de sel
- 1 part ground white pepper
- 1 part paprika powder
- ½ part curry powder
- ⅛ part onion powder
- ⅛ part garlic powder
- ⅛ part chili powder
- For caveman style grilling, you have to get rid of the fat cap because this is not a good combination. The fat will only cause flames that burn the outside of the meat. Next, you have to cut off all the floppy bits.
- We can apply a dry rub when all the outside fat and loose parts are gone. Mix all the ingredients and sprinkle an even layer on all sides of the steak.
- Now, start up your grill with lump charcoal and an indirect heat of 120ºC/248°F. Place the Tri-Tip on the grates. Stick a thermometer in the thickest part of the steak and close the lid. Cook the steak to a core temperature of 50ºC/122°F.
- In the meantime, you can make the sauce. Put all the ingredients in a pan and let it come slowly to a boil. When you see a syrupy bubble, then the sauce is done.
- When the Tri-Tip reached the desired core temperature, you can take it off and set the grill up for caveman style grilling.
- Break up the bigger chunks of charcoal to get a bed of coals of equal heights. Let this sit until you see a white layer of ash on all the charcoal with glowing embers in between. This is when the charcoal is the hottest it can get.
- Try to blow off the white ashes from the charcoal with a blowpipe or a piece of board. Then it’s time to place the Tri-Tip on the glowing embers.
- When the crust has formed, you can flip the steak. This is done in 30 seconds or less. But before you put the steak down, you rearrange the coals, so it’s just as hot as before.
- Sear the other side and take it off. Brush off the charcoal from the steak and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice the steak against the grain in thick slices and serve it with the sauce.
Calories: 156kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 10gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 491mgPotassium: 308mgFiber: 1gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 355IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 56mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.