I started cycling as a hobby but also to keep myself in shape. And because every physical activity uses a lot of energy, I make sure I do my best to recover after my workout.
I do that with a good cool down and make sure I fill up with proteins and vitamins. I’ve got just the right burger to do that.
- 500 grs of ground beef (for two recovery burgers)
- 8 thick-cut slices of bread
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pieces of streaky bacon
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 slices of Gouda cheese
- 1 shot of whisky
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- Your favourite bbq sauce
- Fire up your grill for direct heat and put a cast-iron grill plate or skillet on the fire to heat up.
- Cut the tomatoes in slices and the onion in rings. Peel the avocado and get rid of the pit. Also, slice the avocado.
- Grill the bacon until it’s golden brown. Take the bacon out and put some onion rings in 3 places in the skillet.
- Divide the ground beef into six parts and put three of these on the onion rings. Press the ground beef down with a spatula or a burger press. Season the beef with some salt and pepper.
- Wait until the beef pattie has formed a nice crust before you flip them. Put the cheese on top.
- Sprinkle the whisky over the burger and wait for the cheese to meld. You could get some flare-ups.
- Take the patties out of the skillet and start building the recovery burger.
- Put one of the patties on a slice of bread and top it with some tomato. Then the next slice of bread and the next pattie. On this one, we put the avocado.
- Then we have another slice of bread with the last pattie, two pieces of bacon, bbq sauce and the last slice of bread.
Big thanks to Napoleon Grills for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.