In a couple of months, it’s the holidays, and you have to think about Christmas diner. Now is the time to practice on your roast, so you bring the best pork roast to the table.
This is going to be the most tasteful pork roast with juicy meat and crispy skin. Follow my steps, and you’ll be the hero of the day.
- Pork hind leg (not brined)
- 1 kilo of course sea salt
- 1 tbsp of course sea salt
- 2 tsp of dried fennel
- a handful of cut fresh parsley
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- Pour 1 kilo of sea salt in a roasting pan and lay the leg of pork with the skin down in the salt. Make sure you sprinkle some of the salt on the skin at the sides of the leg.
- Chop fine the parsley and garlic. Then sprinkle the tablespoon of salt with the parsley, garlic, dried fennel and pepper on the meat of the pork.
- Set the roasting pan with the pork uncovered in the fridge for two days.
- Fire up your smoker to a temperature of 160ºC (320F). Put the leg with the skin down in the smoker. Stick a thermometer in the meat and close the lid.
- After a couple of hours, you check the skin of the pork. When it’s starting to get burned, you flip the leg to prevent this. Otherwise, you let the leg cook as-is.
- When the pork leg reaches the core temperature of about 94ºC (202F), you take it out of the smoker.
- Cut the crispy skin off and rest the rest of the leg in aluminium foil for at least 30 minutes or longer in a cooler.
- After resting, you can slice the meat and serve it with the crispy skin.
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.