Traditionally döner kebab is made with lamb, but nowadays, they make it with chicken, turkey or beef. And when you get an urge for fast food at the end of a night out, you can’t be sure what you eat when you order a large with garlic sauce.One thing you can be sure of is that döner is made of the cheaper cuts of meat. I will use a Black Angus rib roast to make the most exclusive döner you’ve ever eaten.
- 2 kg rib roast
- 1 piece Turkish bread
- 4 parts Ras El Hanout
- 1 part Sumak
- 1 part sea salt
Bell pepper sauce
- 4 pieces bell peppers roasted
- ½ piece red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 1 piece glowing ember charcoal
- 1 piece egg
- 1 tbsp coarse mustard
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 250 ml yoghurt Greek
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 pinch sumac
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped flat
- 2 tbsp red onion fine diced
- 1 squish lemon juice
- Butterfly the roast as you see me do in the video or ask your butcher to do this for you.
- Mix the ingredients for the rub and sprinkle this on both sides of the meat.
- Then you roll the meat back up and skewer it on the spit.
- Start up your grill with a direct heat of about 200ºC/392°F and place the spit in the rotisserie to grill the meat.
- In the meantime, you can make the two sauces this döner deserves. The first is a paprika sauce you make by grinding the bell peppers, onion, garlic and salt into a paste. Finish it with four tablespoons of olive oil.
- Next is the garlic sauce. We start by making the mayonnaise by pouring the oil into a bowl and adding the charcoal lump. When the ember cooled down, you take it out.
- Ad the egg, mustard and salt and pepper and use the blender to make the mayonnaise. Ad the same amount of Greek yoghurt. Then add the garlic, sumac, parsley, onion and lemon juice and give it a good stir.
- When the outside of the roast is cooked, you can start carving these parts. Leave the rest to get grilled.
- Slice open the bread and put the sauce on both halves. Grill both parts short over direct heat and top it with the grilled pieces of ribeye. Put a spoon of the garlic sauce on the grilled beef, and your döner sandwich is done.
Calories: 2156kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 73gFat: 201gSaturated Fat: 67gPolyunsaturated Fat: 35gMonounsaturated Fat: 81gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 351mgSodium: 2231mgPotassium: 1292mgFiber: 1gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 258IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 158mgIron: 8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Napoleon for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.