A whole leg of lamb stuffed with seasoned bread stuffing is a spectacular roast for easter. With this dish, you are going to score some points.
In the Netherlands, we celebrate two days of easter. The first day is to smoke this leg of lamb, and the other is especially for the leftovers.
- A leg of lamb
For the stuffing
- A loaf of old white bread
- A handful of chopped parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- A handful of walnuts
- Pecorino Cheese
For the mustard crust
- 2 tbsp of coarse mustard
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of honey
- a tbsp of cut thyme
- Cut the crust of the bread and break it up into little pieces. Cut the garlic cloves and add them to the bread crumbs with parsley, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Mix it all up and spread it out on a tray. Bake this for half an hour in an oven at 150°C (300F).
- Sprinkle on some crushed walnuts and grated pecorino cheese.
- Debone the leg of lamb or let your butcher do this for you. Place the stuffing where the bone used to be. Roll up the meat and tie it up with some butchers twine.
- Mix the mustard, salt and pepper, honey and thyme. Brush the outside of the meat with this mixture.
- Fire up your smoker with a temperature of 150°C (302F) and some smoke wood. Put the stuffed leg of lamb in and place a thermometer. Close the lid.
- When the lamb reaches a core temperature of 57°C (134F), take it out of the smoker and let it rest for 30 minutes. Does it take longer before you can start dinner? Then you let it rest in some aluminium foil in a cooler.
Big thanks to Borniak for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.