What happens when you put two male rabbits together in a pen, and one of them turns out to be a female rabbit. You get a lot of baby rabbits. My butcher told me to raise them and eventually put them on the barbecue.
So I tried this recipe first to see if I like to eat rabbit enough to breed and grow my own rabbits for cooking. I bought a ready butchered rabbit and put it on the grill.
- A whole rabbit
- Salt and pepper
For the stuffing
- 150 grams of pancetta
- A handful of pine nuts
- 20 pitted olives (optional)
- 50 grams of Parmesan cheese
To brush on the rabbit while it cooks
- 2 tbsp of goose fat
- a pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic (smoked if you got them)
- 1 tsp of cut fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp of cut fresh oregano
- 30 grams of grated parmesan
- Cut out the liver and kidneys when that isn’t already done.
- Slice the pancetta in strips and cook it in a cast-iron skillet until it’s golden brown. Take the pancetta out of the pan and roast the pinenuts in the fat that’s left in the pan. Take them out when they are roasted.
- Put the pancetta, pinenuts and olives in a bowl. Grate the parmesan cheese over it and mix it all up.
- Stuf this in the belly of the rabbit and sow it up with a trussing needle and butchers twine.
- Season the outside of the rabbit with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Start up your grill with medium direct heat. Place the rabbit on the grill and close the lid. Cook the rabbit to a core temperature of 70ºC (158F)
- Put the goose fat in a bowl and add a pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper. Then you press the cloves of garlic and add it to the goose fat with the thyme and oregano. Add the grated Parmesan and mix it up.
- Brush this goose fat on the rabbit when it’s nearly done and let the goose fat melt.
- When the rabbit reaches the desired core temperature of 70ºC (158F), you take it out of the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- I served the rabbit on some mashed potatoes and mushrooms roasted in goose fat.
Big thanks to Napoleon Grills for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.