Halloween. It’s time to eat, drink, and to be scary. Food is a great form of expression and I can’t think of a better holiday to play with your food.
This spooky puff pastry salmon mac and cheese spider is absolutely delicious but beware….. one bite and it might just haunt your dreams. Feeding the family has never been so fun, enjoy!
- 6 oz Kvaroy Arctic Salmon fillet
- ½ Cup Mac and Cheese, cooked and cooled (Your favorite recipe)
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry
- 1 each Egg, whipped for egg wash
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 each Pink peppercorns
- Stabilize your grill at 450F (232°C).
- Season your Salmon fillet with sea salt and drizzle a touch of oil on the surface. Place on the grill grate and sear for 1 minute. Season and lightly oil the other side of the salmon, flip the fillet and sear the other side for 1 minute. Remove from the grill and reserve.
- Alter your grill for an indirect cook and stabilize the temp. between 350 and 400F (177 to 204°C).
- Dust the cutting board with flour and lay out your puff pastry. Place your cooked and cooled mac and cheese in the center of the puff pastry, place the salmon on top.
- Paint eggwash on the surrounding puff pastry and fold the puff pastry over the mac and salmon forming a sort of large ravioli. Using your hands, gently press the edges closest to the filling and shape the body.
- Cut 8 long strips, 4 from each side starting from the outside to twist and form the 8 legs.
- Transfer the body to a cast iron pan or metal tray with parchment paper.
- Paint the spider’s body with eggwash and then connect the legs.
- Roast for 30 minutes until the dough is cooked and the golden color has set.
- Remove from the grill and place 2 pink peppercorns in the head for eyes.
Who is chef Eric Gephart?
Chef Eric Gephart is the Global Culinary Director for Kamado Joe, Content Creator and all around world adventurer. After spending years as a leader in the restaurant industry and as a teacher of all thing delicious, Chef Eric has found a digital home for sharing his passion for both food and people. Please enjoy these unique recipes, thoughts and perspectives as we all begin this new chapter in our lives.
For food related questions, comments or concerns as well as thoughts on partnerships please reach Eric via Instagram @EricGephart
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.