everybody loves a whole hog cook. I am going to show you how you can do one at home.
I chose a piglet of around 8 kilos for this cook. We are turning it into the most tender and delicious pulled pork.
- A whole pig, or piglet
Injection fluid and mopping sauce
- 500 ml applejuice
- 125 ml a horn siroop
- 125 ml honey
- 2 tbsp ketjap manis / sweet soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp worcestershiresauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp fine salt
Whole hog rub
- 1 part rock salt
- 1 part paprika powder
- 1/4 curry powder
- 1/8 part onion powder
- 1/8 part garlic powder
- Start your smoker with a temperature of about 135°C (275F).
- Dry the meat and skin of the pig with some paper towels and trim of the legs.
- Make the injection fluid and put it in an injection needle. Stick it in the meat and get as much of the fluid in as you can.
- Now make the whole hog rub and sprinkle it al on the meat.
- Place the pig, skin side up, in the smoker and close the lid. Let the pig smoke for 4 hours.
- When the meat reaches a core temperature of 92°C (198F) we flip the pig and baste the meat with the mopping sauce till the meat reaches 98°C (208F).
- Take the pig out of the smoker and let it rest for at least h\laf an hour before you pull the meat.
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.