I love tri-tip. In my opinion, it’s the most underrated cut of beef. I like it as a nice steak, as a picanha, and this time I smoked it to the point, it’s almost pulled beef.
Then I fried up a few tortillas to make the simplest but best tacos you’ve ever had. Just try it so you know I’m right.
- Tr-tip with a good amount of intramuscular fat
- 50 grs of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of fleur de sell
- 2 tsp of ground black pepper
- Corn tortillas
- Diced onions
- Fresh cilantro
- Put the chipotle peppers with the olive oil in a blender and grind it down to a smooth paste.
- Rub the pepper paste on all sides of the tri-tip. Sprinkle on an even layer of salt and pepper.
- Fire up your smoker with a temperature of 160°C (320F).
- Put the tri-tip in the smoker, place a thermometer in the thickest part of the meat and close the lid. Smoke the meat to a core temperature of 97°C (207F).
- Take the meat out of the smoker and let it rest in some aluminium foil for at least half an hour.
- Cut the tri-tip against the grain into 1 cm thick slices.
- Fry up the tortillas in some beef fat or butter.
- Serve the smoked tri-tip in a tortilla with some diced onions and fresh cilantro.
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting Board
- Barbecue tong
- Kitchen Torch
- Burnhard Flint Pellet smoker
- Burnhard Nero
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.