I wanted to thank my neighbours when they helped me clear out the road when it had snowed heavily. And what better way than to do it with barbecue.
So I bought a beef shank. The biggest cut of beef I could find and smoked it to perfection.
- A beef shank
For the dry rub
- 1 part table salt
- 1 part paprika powder
- 1 part onion powder
- 1/4 part of garlic powder
- 1/4 part of ground black pepper
For the mopping or spritz sauce
- 2 tbsp of the dry rub
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- 1/4 cup of whiskey
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- Clean the meat by removing the silverskin and hard pieces of fat. Cut the meat almost to the bone. We do this to maximize the surface for the rub and let it cook faster.
- Put some mustard on the meat and mix the ingredients for the dry rub. Sprinkle an even layer on all sides of the meat. Make sure to rub it in between the slices.
- Fire up the grill to smoke with a temperature of 140°C (284F). Place the beef shank on the grates and stick a thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. Close the lid.
- Put a paper coffee filter in a big glass and put 2 tablespoons of the dry rub in. Pour the boiling water onto the rub, so you filter it.
- Put the filtered rub water in a spray bottle with the vinegar, whiskey and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spritz the liquid on the meat when the rub formed a bark. Repeat this a couple of times every time the surface has dried.
- The beef shank is ready when it reaches a core temperature of 95°C (203F), and the meat almost falls off the bone.
- Wrap the shank in aluminium foil and let it rest for at least half an hour or longer. When you place the wrapped meat in a cooler, you can keep the meat warm for a couple of hours. It keeps getting tender while you wait.
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.