Just imagine deliciously smoked pork belly. Perfectly juicy and tender. And then, to take it over the top, we deep-fry it.
This is the ultimate Friday night snack. A perfect golden brown nugget of savoury goodness.
- 2 kilo of pork belly
For the rub
- 1 part table salt
- 1 part curry powder
- 1 part paprika powder
- 1/2 part chilli powder
- 1/2 part onion powder
- 1/2 part ground black pepper
For the breading station
- 500 grams of white flour
- 4 eggs
- 500 grams of bread crumbs
- Cut the pork belly to size so it fits your deep-fried. Then you slice into the meat into cubes, but not all the way through. Make sure the cubes stay attached.
- Mix the dry rub and sprinkle it on, and between the cubes. Don’t forget the bottom and the sides.
- Fire up the smoker to a temperature of 150°C (302F). Put the pork belly on the grates and put a thermometer in the meat.
- Close the lid and smoke the pork belly to a core temperature of 65°C (149F).
- Take the pork belly out of the smoker and let it air dry on a cooling rack.
- Heat up the deep fryer and set up the breading station. Take 3 bowls and fill one bowl with the flour, another with the egg wash and the last one with the bread crumbs.
- Put the smoked pork belly in the flour and get a light coating on all the sides. Next put it in the egg wash and make sure you get it in all the cracks of the pork belly.
- Lastly you place the pork belly in the bread crumbs and sprinkle it all on until you see no more wet spots.
- Now fry the pork belly until golden brown and let it drip out on some paper towel or a cooling rack.
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.