I lived on an island in the North Sea for five years, and this is where I got my addiction to seafood. And I know you don’t see it that often on the website, and I will change that today.I Smoked some giant shrimp to give them a distinctive barbecue flavour and deep-fried them to provide them with a golden-brown crust.
How well is this recipe
- 20 whole giant shrimp
- 7 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 500 gram flour
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 5 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp fleur de sel
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Clean the shrimp and take off the shells if your fishmonger didn’t do that already. Press your thump under the belly of the shrimp and hold the tail while you pull off the shell. I leave the tail on for presentation.
- Then you pull off the head of the shrimp and try to pull out most of the intestines while you do this.
- After that, you make a cut lengthwise on the belly side until you see a black vine. Take the point of a fork and try to stick it underneath. Now you pull out the black vine that is the shrimp’s digestive tract.
- Now you clean the shrimps under running water and pat them dry.
- Put the shrimp in a bowl and pour the olive oil over them. Then, sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic, and parsley over them and mix it together. Set this in the fridge for around two hours.
- After two hours of marinating, you put the shrimp on a cooling rack to make them easier to transport.
- Put the shrimp in a smoker with a temperature of 100ºC/212°F and smoke them for around 20 minutes to give it a nice color. Take them out and let them cool down.
- Put a cast-iron pan over direct heat and fill it with sunflower oil to heat up to 180-200ºC/356-392°F.
- Build a breading station with one bowl of flour. Another with three whisked eggs and the last one with a mix of bread crumbs, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Dip the shrimp individuality in the flour, the egg wash and the bread crumbs and put them back on the cooling rack so the crust won’t damage.
- Now you deep fry the shrimp until they are golden brown.
Calories: 877kcalCarbohydrates: 124gProtein: 23gFat: 32gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 3997mgPotassium: 500mgFiber: 9gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 3226IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 151mgIron: 10mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.