The BBQ Smoked Pinwheel Salmon is an exquisite and delectable culinary masterpiece. By employing straightforward BBQ techniques and a handful of easily accessible ingredients, you can effortlessly craft this remarkable dish. The combination of smoky, savory notes harmoniously intertwined with the gentle and velvety texture of the salmon results in an extraordinary culinary creation that is bound to captivate even the most refined tastes.
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
2 kg / 4 lbs salmon filets
- 2 tbsp PitmasterX’s Classic BBQ rub
30 grams mint
30 grams parsley
500 gram / 1 lbs cream cheese
1 tsp finishing salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
⅓ tsp sugar
⅓ tsp chili powder
- Sprinkle a light coating of PitmasterX’s Classic BBQ rub on one side of the salmon.
- Chop a generous amount of parsley and mint, and grate the zest of the limes.
- Combine these ingredients in a bowl with regular cream cheese, along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Thoroughly mix everything together until well combined.
- Take the seasoned side of the salmon fillets and generously apply the herb and cream cheese mixture on top.
- Roll up the salmon fillets tightly and secure them with metal pins on multiple sides to maintain the shape of the pinwheels.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the rolled salmon into at least 3 finger-thick slices, ensuring that the pinwheels remain intact. If needed, insert additional pins to secure any loose parts.
- Cut 4 grapefruits into thick slices.
- Place the grapefruit slices directly on the cold grill.
- Arrange the salmon pinwheels on top of the grapefruit slices.
- Sprinkle the dish with approximately 1/3 teaspoon of sugar and, if desired, a dash of chili powder for added flavor.
- Fire up your BBQ and set it to the lowest temperature possible. Place the lid on the barbecue. For charcoal grills, aim to keep the temperature below 90°C or 194°F.
- Insert a thermometer into one of the pinwheels to monitor the core temperature of the salmon.
- Cook until the temperature reaches 45°C or 113°F, ensuring the salmon is cooked through.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the pinwheels.
- Serve the pinwheels alongside the grapefruit slices as a delightful and flavorful dish.