Salsa roja, also known as red salsa, is a classic Mexican condiment that adds heat and flavor to favorite dishes. It is made with fresh tomatoes, chili peppers, onions, and other spices. This versatile sauce can be used as a dip, topping, or marinade. In this homemade salsa roja recipe, you will learn how to make a delicious and authentic salsa roja using simple ingredients that can be easily found at your local grocery store. Whether you want to spice up tacos, nachos, or enjoy a tasty and healthy dip, this salsa roja recipe will surely become a favorite in your kitchen.
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
1 tbsp olive oil
½ white onion
6 gloves garlic
2 dried smoked chili's
1 tbsp finishing salt
- Warm a cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat the surface with a small amount of olive oil.
- Quarter the tomatoes and finely chop the onion, garlic and chili peppers.
- Sear the tomatoes in the heated skillet and cover with a lid.
- After approximately 15 minutes, include the finely chopped onion, garlic cloves, and dried chili peppers.
- Add salt for seasoning and let it simmer with the lid closed for 10 minutes. The salsa roja is now complete.