If you're looking for a delicious and impressive main course, try making these hanger steak medallions wrapped in bacon, seared on a hot grill plate and topped with a spicy adobo chili onion mixture. This recipe is perfect for a special occasion or a weekend dinner party. With the addition of a homemade rucola basil sauce, this dish is sure to impress your guests.
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
600 grams / 1.3 lbs hanger steak
200 grams / 7 oz bacon strips
- 300 ml / 1⅓ cups Rucola Basil Sauce
1 white onion
220 grams / 7.7 oz chipotle chili's in adobo sauce
4 cloves of garlic
250 ml / 1 cup olive oil
1 tsp finishing salt
½ tsp black pepper
- Cut the hanger steak into 2 finger thick steak medaillons and wrap them around in 2 strips of bacon.
- Make 300 ml or 1⅓ cups of Rucola Basil Sauce according to it's recipe.
- Slice 1 white onion into rings, chop up 220 grams or 7.7 oz of chipotle chili's in adobo sauce and 4 cloves of garlic.
- Fire up your grill and create a very hot heat source.
- Once your grill is hot, Start searing the onion and carlic together on a flat surface like a grill plate or pan, until the onions turn soft.
- Add the chopped chili's in adobo sauce and cook for another 30 seconds while stirring.
Transfer the onion and chili mixture to a pan ( if grilled on grill plate) and add around 250 ml or 1 cup of olive oil. Let it come up to temperature and let it slightly fry.
- Season with 1 tsp of finishing salt and ½ tsp black pepper
- Make sure your grill is non stick with some plant based oil and start grilling the steak medaillons.
- Once one side has developed a crust, flip the medallions and add some of the chili oil to the medaillons.
- When both sides have a crust, sear the bacon around the medallions on the grill.
- Remove the steak medallions from the grill plate and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Create artistic swooshes of rucola basil sauce on a plate and place some of the chili onion topping in the center.
Top the plate off with the beautiful steak medallions.