Crispy Chili Beef is a deep fried shredded beef with a delicious kick of sweet chili. This recipe is a popular Asian dish. It's quick and easy to make at home with some simple ingredients!
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
800 grams / 1.7 lbs hanger steak
4 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp finishing salt
½ tbsp black pepper
2 white onions
3 red chili's
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp ginger
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp merin
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
50 grams / 1.7 oz leek
50 grams / 1.7 oz green peas
400 grams / 14 oz pre cooked rice
For the beef
- Begin by cutting the hanger steak against the grain into bite-sized chunks.
- Place the beef chunks in a bowl and add two eggs and all-purpose flour. Season the steak with some salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients together until well combined with the beef chunks.
For the chili sauce:
- Finely chop the onions, garlic, chili and ginger.
- Heat up a pan and add all the chopped ingredients.
- Cook them on low heat until they become soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients and let them simmer for another minute. Remove from heat ans set aside.
Preparing the chili beef:
- Heat up two burners on your Brabura plancha, keeping the third burner on low heat.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the plancha and sear the beef.
- Use two spatulas to flip the beef and achieve a dark brown maillard effect.
- Add the chili sauce to the beef and let it cook together for about a minute.
- Transfer the beef to the resting spot on the third burner.
- Add a bit more oil to the plancha and add the leek, peas, and ham.
- Sear the vegetables and ham while scooping some of the chili beef fat onto them.
- After approximately 4-5 minutes, move the vegetables and ham to the side.
- Crack two eggs onto the plancha and scramble them.
- Mix the scrambled eggs with the leek, peas and ham.
- Add the pre-cooked rice and mix everything together.
- Toast the rice mixture for another 1-2 minutes, then turn off the burners.
- Serve the rice with a generous scoop of the chili beef on top and enjoy your meal.