Do it now! Make the most delicious Smash Burger. This classic American-style burger is made by smashing a ball of beef onto a hot griddle, creating a caramelized crust on the outside and a juicy and tender center. In this recipe, we'll show you how to make the perfect Cheese and Onion Smash Burger on a BBQ that will have your taste buds jumping for joy. So, let's get started!
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
1200 grams / 2.6 lbs Chuck Steak
- 1 tbs Big Mac Sauce
30 grams / 1 oz Chives
30 grams / 1 oz parsley
250 grams / 8.8 oz butter
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp table salt
50 grams / 1.7 oz lettuce
50 grams / 1.7 oz gouda cheese
6 burger buns
1 yellow onion
2 tbs all purpose flower
- Cube up your fresh chuck steak with a sharp knife.
- Put the meat through a meat grinder twice. This will create a smooth texture and will prevent it from falling apart.
- Shape the ground beef into 12 separate balls, each weighing around 100 grams.
- Make a herb butter by chopping a bunch of parsley and chives and mixing it with the butter.
- Season the herb butter with salt and pepper.
- Wrap it in a small sheet of baking paper for easy storing.
- Peel and slice an onion into half rings.
- Dust the onion with all purpose flour.
- Fry the onion in sunflower oil at 180°C or 355°F until golden brown and crispy.
- Fire up your grill and set it up fir direct heat with a heavy cast iron griddle plate or a cast iron pan.
- Stick your Flambadou in a pile of hot charcoal or a fire where it can become red glowing hot.
- Toast your burger buns with some butter on the griddle plate till golden brown.
- Start smashing your beef balls on the plate with the burger press.
- Let it sear for around 2 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Flip the burger when you have a dark brown texture on the bottom and sear for another 2 minutes.
- Take out the hot Flambadou, add a slice butter and let it melt inside the the Flambadou.
- Let the melting butter drip onto the burger patty.
- Put the cheese on top of the seared patty.
- Start building your burger with some of that Big Mac Sauce.
- Add some lettuce, put 3 slices of tomatoes on.
- Layer the the first patty on top along with the second patty with some sauce in between.
- Finish with the fried onion and smash the cap on top.