The perfect BBQ snack features a handlebar, and this chicken drumstick, converted into a Jalapeno pickled bacon treat, is the ultimate BBQ lollipop. The concept is straightforward: a robust brine ensures the juiciest chicken, and when you combine bacon with that chicken, you get an incredible smokey BBQ recipe.
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
1 kg / 2.2 lbs chicken drumsticks
5 small jars pickled jalapeno's
200 grams / 7 oz bacon strips
- 300 ml / 1.3 cups PitmasterX's Sweet Apple BBQ Sauce
6 tbsp PitmasterX's Classic BBQ Rub
- Take a sharp knife and cut around the tip of the chicken drum stick.
- Tear off the remaining meat of the tip of the bone. Repeat these 2 steps until you have a couple of Lollipops prepared for this recipe.
- Take out the pickled jalapeno's from a couple of jar's until you have one jar of pickle juice for each drumstick and put the drumsticks meat side down in the jar and let all the chicken drumsticks brine in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Make 300 ml or 1.3 cups of PitmasterX's Sweet Apple BBQ Sauce.
- After 2 hours it's time to take the chicken out of the brine.
- Season the chicken with a layer of PitmasterX's Classic BBQ Rub.
- Wrap 2 slices of bacon around each Lollipop.
- Season again with the Classic BBQ rub for a very thin coat on the bacon.
- Fire up your BBQ and set it for a low roasting temperature of around 140°C or 285°F.
- Let the lollipops stand up or hang them upside down in a special BBQ holder and let them slowly smoke.
- Once the Lollipops have reached a core temperature of 72°C or 162°F It's time to either dunk them in a cup of Apple BBQ Sauce or brush it on to the Lollipops.
- Give them another 5 minutes to let the sauce firm up and become sticky. Now your Lollipops are ready!
- You can add a small chunk of burning smoke wood to create smoke flavor if you are using a gas grill.
- You can do many things with the pickled jalapeno's. Just to give you an idea; Add 125 ml or 0.5 cup of apple juice to to a blender and add around 1 cup of pickled jalapenos and 2 tbsp of cane sugar. Put it in the blender for the perfect jalapeno relish, perfect for burgers!