Crafting your own beef jerky is a surprisingly straightforward process that unlocks a delicious realm of savory delights. The history of beef jerky dates back centuries, showcasing its evolution from a practical preservation method to a beloved snack enjoyed worldwide. Beef Jerky is an easy recipe.
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
1 kg 2.2 lbs eye of round
- 100 grams / 3.5 oz BBQ Rub ( Your favorite choice )
- With a sharp and long knife, slice up your eye of round in to thin slices.
- Flatten all individual slices of beef by hitting it with your fist our a hammer on a cutting board.
- Lay all the slices of beef on a cooling rack.
- Season the beef on both sides with a BBQ Rub that you like. Let the seasoning draw out the moisture for 5 minutes before you flip them to the other side.
- Let the tray of beef jerky sit in the fridge for 2 hours to let it firm up.
- Fire up your Smoker and set the temperature to an indirect temperature of 60ºC or 140ºF.
- Spread out the beef slices on a fire proof rack and slide them in the smoker/BBQ.
- Let the beef jerky slowly smoke for around 2 hours before removing the smoke aspect of the cooking process.
- Let the beef jerky continue to cook for around 3 more hours.
- Put the beef jerky in a plastic ziplock bag and set it in the fridge for 24 hours to get the perfect results.
- Keep your meat close to frozen. The colder the meat the easier it is to slice it in to thin slices.
- Try these BBQ Rubs for a fun way to experiment with different beef jerky flavors.
- Make sure that your beef jerky is bendable and dry enough after the smoking process. Try to pull it to make sure you have the best result and try again after the 24 hour resting period.