The rich and robust flavors of whiskey and the aromatic essence of coffee combine to create a mouthwatering brine that will leave your taste buds craving more. Whether you're a seasoned pitmaster or a barbecue enthusiast, this recipe is bound to be a crowd-pleaser. Chicken is always a good idea but it's just better with Whiskey and Coffee.
Let me show you what this recipe is all about.
You can find the full instructional video at the end of this page.
- Prepare by making 30 grams or 1 oz of the Texas Beef Rub.
- Fill a big bowl with 3 kg or 6.5 lbs chicken thighs.
- Add 60 ml or ¼ cup of espresso and 60 ml or ¼ cup of whiskey to the bowl.
- Add exactly half the amount of the Texas Beef Rub to the bowl. Keep the rest for the sauce.
- Let the chicken brine in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Make 350 ml or 1½ cup of the PitmasterX's Chicken Sauce.
- Fire up your griddle and create a hot direct heat zone.
- Fill up your forked skewer with brined chicken and stick in a wireless thermometer.
- Grill the chicken with the skewer in your hand, closely over the hot fire. Rotate it to prevent flare ups and switch to the hot griddle plate to create more crust.
- Roast the chicken until around a core temperature of 60°C or 140°F.
- Brush on the sauce and let it caremelize over the fire until it reaches a core temperature of 75°C or 170°F.
- Sprinkle on a tsp of leftover BBQ rub and let it rest for 5 minutes before digging in.
- Don't use the sauce as a dipping sauce. It works best if you use it as a brushing sauce.
- Make sure your fire covers all the chicken on the skewer. Don't overpack the skewer.