In the late spring, we Dutch eat a lot of white asparagus. We call them white gold. We usually boil them and serve them with some butter, eggs and ham.It certainly is delicious, but ham is only ham. I made this Dutch classic into a future bbq classic by upgrading the ham with a beautiful pork loin roast.
How well is this recipe
- 1 piece Pork loin roast, skin on
- 500 grams fine table salt
- 1 kg White asparagus
- 4 pieces Eggs
- 100 grams butter
- 1 tsp Sea salt, to taste
- Carve the skin of the pork loin crosswise with a sharp knife.
- Place it with the skin up in a non-ferro tray and cover it with a heavy layer of salt. Make sure to rub the salt into the cuts you made. Let this brine in the fridge for at least four hours.
- Start your smoker with a temperature of 150°C (302F) and some applewood.
- Rinse the salt from the pork loin under running water. Pat it dry with some paper towel.
- Put the pork loin with the skin up, on the grates. Stick a thermometer in the meat and close the lid.
- After 2 hours of smoking raise the temperature to 190°C (374F).
- When the meat reaches a core temperature of 65°C (149F) you take it out of the smoker and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- When the meat rests you peel the asparagus to get rid of all the wood like outside. Then you cook them in boiling water until they are soft. While they cook you also cook the eggs.
- Put the asparagus on a plate with a little butter, the eggs and a few slices of the pork loin.
Calories: 231kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 6gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 167mgPotassium: 512mgFiber: 5gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 2520IUVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 67mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.