We, like everybody else, love pizza. But we also love pork belly. What if we made the best of both worlds and made the greatest combination possible.
We made a pork belly pizza, and no, that isn’t a pizza with grilled pork belly but a pizza made out of pork belly.
Warning: This recipe will ruin a perfectly good pizza stone and can cause a grease fire. You’ve been warned.
- 1 kilo of pork belly without the skin
- Parmesan cheese
For the tapenade
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- 150 grs of garlic marinated green olives
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 or 2 tbsp of olive oil
For the pizza sauce
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- a few fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp of table salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- Slice the pork belly horizontally into thin slices without piercing it. Use a long and sharp knife and keep it horizontal to your work surface.
- Carve the fat slightly to create a rougher surface area. This way, it cooks easier without curling up while it cooks. Season the meat with sea salt.
- Make the tapenade by putting the basil, olives and black pepper in a blender. Grind it down to a coarse paste. Pour some olive oil into the mix and grind it until it’s smooth.
- Pour the tapenade into a bowl and clean the blender. Put in the diced tomatoes, onion, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Grind that to a pizza sauce.
- Fire up your pizza oven to around 200°C (390F).
- Slide the pork belly on the pizza stone and rotate and flip it, so it cooks evenly and keeps it from burning. This way, you can also prevent a grease fire from happening.
- When the pork belly is golden brown take it out of the pizza oven and spread a few tablespoons of pasta sauce over the surface. Top it with a few drops of tapenade. Ad some of the mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slide this pork belly pizza back in the pizza oven until the cheese has melted and formed a little crust.
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.