We, like everybody else, love pizza. But we also love pork belly. What if we made the best of both worlds and made the greatest combination possible.We made a pork belly pizza, and no, that isn’t a pizza with grilled pork belly but a pizza made out of pork belly.Warning: This recipe will ruin a perfectly good pizza stone and can cause a grease fire. You’ve been warned.
- 1 kg Pork belly Without skin
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
For the tapenade
- 2 tbsp Fresh basil leaves
- 150 grams Gren olives marinated in garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the pizza sauce
- 2 cups Diced tomatoes
- 1 piece Small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Slice the pork belly horizontally into thin slices without piercing it. Use a long and sharp knife and keep it horizontal to your work surface.
- Carve the fat slightly to create a rougher surface area. This way, it cooks easier without curling up while it cooks. Season the meat with sea salt.
- Make the tapenade by putting the basil, olives and black pepper in a blender. Grind it down to a coarse paste. Pour some olive oil into the mix and grind it until it’s smooth.
- Pour the tapenade into a bowl and clean the blender. Put in the diced tomatoes, onion, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Grind that to a pizza sauce.
- Fire up your pizza oven to around 200°C/390°F.
- Slide the pork belly on the pizza stone and rotate and flip it, so it cooks evenly and keeps it from burning. This way, you can also prevent a grease fire from happening.
- When the pork belly is golden brown take it out of the pizza oven and spread a few tablespoons of pasta sauce over the surface. Top it with a few drops of tapenade. Ad some of the mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slide this pork belly pizza back in the pizza oven until the cheese has melted and formed a little crust.
Calories: 1482kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 33gFat: 147gSaturated Fat: 53gPolyunsaturated Fat: 15gMonounsaturated Fat: 69gCholesterol: 201mgSodium: 398mgPotassium: 754mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 454IUVitamin C: 13mgCalcium: 309mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!