We made a sandwich, famous in the states, not very well known in Europe, sold in Vietnam as street food and with French origins. It’s the Banh Mi sandwich.It’s the perfect combination of fresh, pickled vegetables, savory pork belly and it’s served on a baguette. What’s not to like.
How well is this recipe
- 6 pieces sliced pork belly
- 1 piece French baguette
For the brine
- 2 L water
- 1 piece Onion in slices
- 2 cloves sliced garlic
- 100 grams fine salt
- 100 grams raw cane sugar
- 5 pieces lime leaves
- 6 pieces carrots
- 1/4 piece daikon
- 2 pieces madame jeanette peppers
- 250 ml vinegar
Fresh vegetables for the bread
- 1/4 piece cucumber in slices
- 3 pieces sliced spring onions
- 1 tbsp Koriander
- 1/2 tbsp BBQ dry rub to sprinkle on the pork belly
- 1/2 tbsp Soy sauce
- Create a brine, starting with 2 liters of water. Put in the rest of the ingredients, let the salt and sugar dissolve, and add the pork belly. Let this brine in the fridge for 2 hours.
- When the brine is doing its work we make some pickled vegetables to balance out the pork. Slice the daikon and carrots into strips. Put them in a vinegar bath. Add the Madam Jeanette peppers to the vinegar and place it all in the fridge next to the pork belly.
- Start the grill and make 2 zones. Grill the pork belly on both sides till you have a nice char. Then place the meat on the other zone to keep them warm.
- Cut the baguette open and fill it with the pickled daikon and carrots, some cilantro, slices of cucumber, and fresh chopped spring onion.
- Slice as many Madame Jeanette peppers as you can handle and put it on your sandwich. Sprinkle on a few tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Slice the pork belly and finish the sandwich with it. Now eat it while its still warm.
Calories: 280kcalCarbohydrates: 57gProtein: 6gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 10235mgPotassium: 139mgFiber: 2gSugar: 29gVitamin A: 257IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 97mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Napoleon for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.