The tri tip is a beautiful and delicious piece of beef. It can be used for many dishes like, pulled beef, brisket style BBQ or like we use it in this case a roast. With a delicious crust, a crunchy salted fat cap and perfect cooked beef on the inside this dish will make you smile.
- 1,5 kg Tri Tip with fat cap
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard
- 100 gram fine grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 125 ml fine chopped parsley about a handful
- 75 ml fine chopped sage
- 25 ml fine chopped thyme
- 1 Zest of a lemon
- 125 ml breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tbsp fine salt
- 1 tbsp light sea salt fleur de sel
- 1 tsp fine ground white penja pepper
- 75 ml Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Score the fat cap of the tri tip and season it with the light sea salt
- Rub the meat side with mustard
- Create a herb mixture for the crust by mixing the parmesan cheese, sage, thyme, lemon zest, breadcrumbs, fine salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Rub the mixture over the mustard until you have a sticky crust.
- Fire up your Burnhard smoker with a pecan or hickory pellet mixture. Set it to smoke at a temperature of 160°C/320°F.°
- Place the tri tip in with the fat cap facing down. The fat will protect the meat from drying out and turn nice and crispy as it renders out.
- When the tri tip has reached a core temperature of 54°C/130°F, take it off and let it rest for around 10 minutes.
- Your Trip tip roast is ready to be sliced.
Calories: 940kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 89gFat: 55gSaturated Fat: 17gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 266mgSodium: 3537mgPotassium: 1477mgFiber: 4gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 507IUVitamin C: 22mgCalcium: 445mgIron: 9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!