Did you hear about the Nashville hot fried chicken? That’s nothing compared to what I cooked up this time.I made two versions of this famous dish. One ordinary with just cayenne pepper and a crazy hot one with dried Carolina reaper. Just to challenge myself and Morrison.
How well is this recipe
- 500 gram Chicken thighs
- 2 litres vegetable oil refined
- 4 piece soft buns
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 piece pickles
- ½ litre buttermilk
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 kg all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp coarse black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 6 piece eggs
Crazy hot chicken rub
- 1 part salt
- ½ part ground black pepper
- ⅛ part garlic powder
- ½ part onion powder
- ½ part cayenne pepper
- 1 part Carolina reaper powder
- Mix everything for the brine in a large bowl. Put in the chicken thighs and let this sit, for at least 4 hours, in the fridge.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and make the breading station.
- Fill a bowl with the flour, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and the onion powder. Mix it all up.
- Fill the other bowl with six eggs and whisk it till they are all lose.
- Take the chicken out of the brine and in to the bowl with flour mixture. Make sure the flour sticks to all the sides of the chicken.
- Next put it in the egg wash and back in the flour. Then it’s time to put it in the hot oil.
- Fry the chicken until the outside is golden brown. Let it drip out on a piece of paper towel or a cooling rack.
- When you want your chicken crazy hot, now is the time to sprinkle on some of the crazy hot chicken rub.
- Toast a bun, put on some mayonnaise and pickles and the fried chicken. Take a bite and see if you got what it takes to be on Hot Ones.
Calories: 1495kcalCarbohydrates: 214gProtein: 58gFat: 43gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 14gMonounsaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 374mgSodium: 4187mgPotassium: 774mgFiber: 10gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1618IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 159mgIron: 15mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.