Can you take the most undesirable cut's of meat and turn it around into something beautiful and delicious?
- 1 kg mutton
- 1 tbsp fleur de sel
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 5 pieces tomatos
- 1 tbsp mutti
- 1 whole garlic
- 1 ginger
- 1 tbsp rice or naan
- 6 green chilli’s
- 1 fresh cilantro
- 750 ml water
- 2 red onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil or sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons tumeric
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons chilli powder
- 3 tablespoons coriander powder
- Chop the mutton into small cubes.
- Mix the mutton with chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and tumeric powder.
- Add a tablespoon of salt and pepper.
- Mix it up and add half a cup of olive oil ( or any oil available) before you continue to mix.
- Leave it to marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Fire up your bbq with a medium amount of charcoal and heat up your cast iron dutch oven.
- Poor in a little bit of oil.
- Start frying 4 chopped fine chopped garlic cloves and 4 thumbs of fine chopped ginger.
- After around 40 seconds, add in your marinated mutton cubes and start sbrowning the meat at a medium low temperature for around 10 minutes.
- Add a cup of water and continue to stir and reduce for 10 more minutes.
- Add 2 chopped fine red onions and let them continue to cook along while occasionly stirring until they cant be seen anymore.
- Cube op 5 fresh tamatoes and add them to the dutch oven as well.
- Add a small can of grated tomato puree. ( i'm always using mutti)
- Add 6 chopped cgreen chilli peppers with seeds.
- Add enough water to almost cover everything and put the lit on
- Let it simmer and occasionaly check if you need to add more water.
- In the last stage when it has become a smooth masala and the mutton has become tender and soft, it's time to add around 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
TIP: add in some baked naan bread or some rice to finish your plate
Calories: 575kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 30gFat: 44gSaturated Fat: 18gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 1513mgPotassium: 713mgFiber: 6gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1283IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 113mgIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.