Morrison usually comes up with the craziest ideas to try. This time he wanted me to make a mayonnaise crusted tri-tip. I’m certainly not afraid to try something so I made up a recipe.
And guess what? Smoked Tri-tip and mayonnaise are a match made in heaven. Just look at the picture and tell me that it’s something you wouldn’t want to try for yourself.
- Fleur de sell
- 4 tbsp of mayonnaise
For the BBQ Rub
- 1/2 part rock salt
- 1 part paprika powder
- 1/8 part garlic powder
- 1/8 part dried parsley
- 1/8 part thyme
- 1/8 part rosemary
- Mix all the ingredients for the dry rub
- Clean up the tri-tip by trimming all the silverskin and the loose bits of meat. Leave the fat cap but slice it in both directions.
- Sprinkle some fleur de sell over the fat cap and turn it over. Coat the other side with a thick layer of mayonnaise. Sprinkle on the dry rub over the mayonnaise.
- Start up your smoker with a temperature of 120°C (248F) and put the try tip in and close the lid. Smoke it to a core temperature of 52°C (126F).
- Take the tri-tip out and turn up the heat. Place a cast-iron pan so it can heat up.
- When the pan is piping hot you put the tri-tip back in so you can sear it on both sides. After that you let the tri-tip rest for 10 minutes before slicing it against the grain.
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.