If you’ve ever smoked brisket, you know you cut off a lot of fat before you put it on your grill. This fat you don’t throw away. We are turning this in liquid gold.With this fat, you can do many things, but we are going to fry the best French fries in it with a fantastic seasoning.
- 2 kg beef fat
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 part salt
- ¼ part paprika powder
- ¼ part onion powder
- ¼ part garlic powder
- Fire up your grill and put a Dutch oven over direct heat. Put the fat in while it’s heating up so the fat can render down slow. Just make sure to keep the temperature below 200°C (300F) because that’s under the smoke point of beef fat. When it’s getting over the smoke point, the fat will get dirty and can’t be used to fry in.
- Run the liquid through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the smaller pieces. If you want to clean the fat further you can pour it through a coffee filter.
- Now you cut the potatoes into small strips like french fries. Or you cut them thicker to be more like Dutch fries. You decide for yourself. After that, you wash the sliced potatoes in cold water to get wash off the starch.
- Then you dry them on some paper towel and heat up the molten beef fat to 140°C (284F)
- While the fat is heating up, you can make the fries seasoning by mixing the ingredients in a small container.
- When the beef fat is at the desired temperature, you put the potatoes in. Don’t overcrowd the pan; just do it in batches. Leave the potatoes for 4 to 5 minutes and take them out when they start to change colour.
- Let the potatoes cool down and heat the fat to 180°C (356F). Then you fry the potatoes until they are golden brown.
- Sprinkle on some of the fries seasonings and serve them while they are hot with some mayonnaise.
Calories: 878kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 112gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 2gCholesterol: 310mgSodium: 442mgPotassium: 2785mgFiber: 6gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 36IUVitamin C: 49mgCalcium: 75mgIron: 14mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.