Japanese sandbox grills are fantastic to cook with. But the restaurants that have these grills are super exclusive and you and I can’t get into them.So I made a Japanese sandbox grill myself to play around with and grill some white rubbed chicken with yakitori sauce.
- 1 kg chicken drumettes
White Chicken Rub
- 1 part fleur de sel
- ¼ tbsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tbsp onion powder
- ⅛ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Sunflower oil
- 1 toe garlic
- 2 piece rawit peppers
- 1 piece spring onion
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Make your sandbox grill. Just watch the video for simple instructions. Start some hardwood charcoal and wait till it’s white-hot.
- Mix all the ingredients for the white chicken rub by mixing all the ingredients.
- Then you can make the Yakitori sauce by frying the garlic, ginger, pepper, and the spring onion in some oil.
- When the garlic is soft but not burned, you add the saké and let that reduce a bit.
- Add the fish sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, and soy sauce. Stir it good and put it in a jar.
- Take the chicken drummettes and stick each one on a bamboo skewer. Then sprinkle them with the white chicken rub.
- Stick the skewers with the chicken close to the glowing charcoal and let the heat do its work.
- When the chicken is done, brush them with the yakitori sauce. When the sauce is caramelizing and getting sticky, the drumettes are ready to eat.
Calories: 421kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 26gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 985mgPotassium: 278mgFiber: 1gSugar: 14gVitamin A: 232IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.