Japanese sandbox grills are fantastic to cook with. But the restaurants that have these grills are super exclusive and you and I can’t get into them.
So I made a Japanese sandbox grill myself to play around with and grill some white rubbed chicken with yakitori sauce.
- 1 kilo of chicken drumettes
White Chicken Rub
- 1 part Fleur de Sel
- ¼ ground black pepper
- 1/8 onion powder
- 1/8 garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- 1 toe garlic
- ½ inch of fresh ginger
- 2 rawit peppers
- 1 spring onion
- 2 tablespoons of sake
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- ¼ cup 75ml Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- Make your sandbox grill. Just watch the video for simple instructions. Start some hardwood charcoal and wait till it’s white-hot.
- Mix all the ingredients for the white chicken rub by mixing all the ingredients.
- Then you can make the Yakitori sauce by frying the garlic, ginger, pepper, and the spring onion in some oil.
- When the garlic is soft but not burned, you add the saké and let that reduce a bit.
- Add the fish sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, and soy sauce. Stir it good and put it in a jar.
- Take the chicken drummettes and stick each one on a bamboo skewer. Then sprinkle them with the white chicken rub.
- Stick the skewers with the chicken close to the glowing charcoal and let the heat do its work.
- When the chicken is done, brush them with the yakitori sauce. When the sauce is caramelizing and getting sticky, the drumettes are ready to eat.
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.