When we speak of terrestrial meat butchery we speak with a romantic reverence of skilled butchers/chefs that focus on 100 percent utilization. That philosophy seems for the most part to be lost when we speak about whole fish. Over 30% of the fish is tossed in the bin.This elevated dish is a play on the chicken wing and is one of the most fun and delicious recipes I have ever grilled. It is also an exhilarating reminder that there is so much more to Salmon than just the two fillets.
How well is this recipe
- 4 piece salmon wings Each fish will produce 2 wings
Honey sriracha buffalo sauce
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 cup sriracha
- 1½ tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 dashes fish sauce
- 4 oz butter
Blue cheese celery slaw
- 3 ribs celery cut into batonettes
- 1 piece carrot cut into ribbons using a peeler
- ½ piece red onion sliced thin
- ¼ bunch parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 2 tbsp blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup blue cheese dressing
- ¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- The first thing we need to do is make the Honey Sriracha Buffalo Sauce. In a small saucepot, combine all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Remember to cool the sauce immediately so that we can use it for a marinade for the salmon wings.
- Now we need to remove the collar from the Salmon. Start your cut from the belly, tail side of the pictorial fin leaving the pectoral fin (your wing) as part of the intact collar. Proceed toward the gill plate then navigating your way at an angle to the top of the head separating the cut from fish. Flip the Salmon over and repeat the process as seen in the video. Use as many salmon wings as you can, I find this is a great item to save and freeze until you have a dozen or so but also worth doing even if you only have 2, just cut down the sauce and slaw garnish a bit.
- Place the collars on your cutting board and trim the bone that remains on the gill plate.
- Marinate the collars for 30 minutes
- Stabilize your grill at 400 to 450F (200 to 230C)
- Remove the fish wings from the buffalo marinade and place them skin side down on the grill grate.
- Occasionally baste with the buffalo sauce, making the wing sweet and sticky.
- Transfer the Salmon Wings to your presentation dish. Garnish with a few sliced lemons and Blue Cheese Celery Slaw.
Chef Eric Gephart is the Global Culinary Director for Kamado Joe, Content Creator and all around world adventurer. After spending years as a leader in the restaurant industry and as a teacher of all thing delicious, Chef Eric has found a digital home for sharing his passion for both food and people. Please enjoy these unique recipes, thoughts and perspectives as we all begin this new chapter in our lives. For food related questions, comments or concerns as well as thoughts on partnerships please reach Eric via Instagram @EricGephart
Calories: 599kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 39gFat: 41gSaturated Fat: 18gPolyunsaturated Fat: 9gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 2919mgPotassium: 1200mgFiber: 2gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 3899IUVitamin C: 61mgCalcium: 122mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.