Kebab is the best after a night on the town at four o’clock in the morning with a lot of garlic sauce. That’s how I like to eat it.
In my opinion, kebab is one of the most flavorful street foods. I am going to show you how to make it at home.
- 1 kilo of minced beef with an 80/20 meat to fat ratio
- 150 grams of bone marrow
- 2 onions
- 4 tbsp of yoghurt
- 1 tbsp of course salt
- 1 tbsp of paprika powder
- 1 tbsp of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp of sumac
- 5 twigs of fresh thyme
- 1 stalk of fresh oregano
For the salad
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- a handful of fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp of sumac
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Cut the bone marrow in smaller pieces and mix it up with the minced beef.
- Quarter the onions and puree them in a blender. Put the puree through a fine-mesh strainer so you can save the juices. It should be about 2 tablespoons of onion juice.
- Add the yoghurt, salt, paprika, black pepper, sumac, thyme and oregano to the onion juice and grind it with the minced beef in a food processor till you have a thick consistency.
- Lay out a sheet of parchment paper and put the beef mixture on top. Press the beef into a sausage shape with a diameter of about 10 cm. Roll the parchment paper around the beef sausage and wrap some cling foil tightly around the parchment paper. Watch the video where I show you how. Put this package in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Fire up your grill with an indirect temperature of about 65°C (150F) or lower. This is just enough to let the beef firm up and prevents the plastic from melting.
- Place the roll with parchment paper and cling foil in the grill. Place a baking tray underneath and puncture the foil and paper so the juices can escape.
- Close the lid and check every 10 minutes that the plastic does not melt. Rotate every half hour. After two to two and a half hours unwrap the beef roll and firm it up with a temperature of 140°C (284F).
- When the outside is firm enough you can skewer the roll onto a rotisserie and grill it over direct heat till the outside gets a crust.
- Slice of the outside and start making some sandwiches. Slice open some flatbread and fill it with the salad, a few pieces of kebab and some garlic sauce. Enjoy.
Big thanks to Napoleon Grills for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.