The frikandel special is the ultimate Dutch snack. If you’ve ever been to the Netherlands, you know what I’m talking about. If you don’t, you have to try it next time or make this recipe.
I already made frikandellen burnt ends with premade frikandellen, but you’ve asked me how to make the frikandellen at home. I gave it a try, and they came out fantastic.
- 400 grams of chicken thighs
- 400 grams of pork belly steak
- 1 onion
- dutch mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of onion powder
- 1 tbsp of ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp of nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tbsp of ground mace
- 1/2 tbsp of table salt
- 2 tbsp of bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp of MSG
- 3 tbsp of beef broth
For the curry sauce
- 300 ml of beef broth
- 1 tbsp of ketchup
- 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- 2 tbsp of curry powder
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- a pinch of garlic powder
- a pinch of ginger powder
- a pinch of nutmeg powder
- Grind the chicken and the pork belly steak 2 or 3 times with a meat grinder to get a smooth paste. Add the frikandellen seasonings and grind it one more time.
- Now you can shape the paste into 6 equal-sized sausages. Place them on a rack like those you get with an IKEA roasting pan.
- Start your smoker with a temperature of around 140°C (284F). Put the frikandellen on the rack in the smoker. Place a thermometer and close the lid. In the meantime, you can make the curry sauce.
- Put the beef broth, ketchup and tomato puree in a pan and let it come to a boil. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir it and let it boil down to a sauce-like thickness. Season it with salt to taste
- When the frikandellen reach a core temperature of 73°C (164F), you take them out of the smoker and let them rest.
- Dice the onion really fine and serve the frikandellen with the mayonnaise, the curry sauce and the raw onions. Now you enjoy the ultimate dutch snack.
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.