The frikandel special is the ultimate Dutch snack. If you’ve ever been to the Netherlands, you know what I’m talking about. If you don’t, you have to try it next time or make this recipe.I already made frikandellen burnt ends with premade frikandellen, but you’ve asked me how to make the frikandellen at home. I gave it a try, and they came out fantastic.
- 400 grams chicken thighs
- 400 grams pork belly
- 1 piece onion
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp nutmeg powder
- ½ tbsp ground mace
- ½ tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- ½ tsp MSG
- 3 tbsp beef broth
- 300 ml beef broth
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch ginger powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg powder
- Grind the chicken and the pork belly steak 2 or 3 times with a meat grinder to get a smooth paste. Add the frikandellen seasonings and grind it one more time.
- Now you can shape the paste into 6 equal-sized sausages. Place them on a rack like those you get with an IKEA roasting pan.
- Start your smoker with a temperature of around 140°C/284°F. Put the frikandellen on the rack in the smoker. Place a thermometer and close the lid. In the meantime, you can make the curry sauce.
- Put the beef broth, ketchup and tomato puree in a pan and let it come to a boil. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir it and let it boil down to a sauce-like thickness. Season it with salt to taste
- When the frikandellen reach a core temperature of 73°C/164°F, you take them out of the smoker and let them rest.
- Dice the onion really fine and serve the frikandellen with the mayonnaise, the curry sauce and the raw onions. Now you enjoy the ultimate Dutch snack.
Calories: 864kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 29gFat: 74gSaturated Fat: 25gPolyunsaturated Fat: 11gMonounsaturated Fat: 33gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 171mgSodium: 1416mgPotassium: 611mgFiber: 3gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 189IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 68mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.