Char Siu is something really special. It's not really a marinade but also not really a sauce. It’s more like this super tasty asian style flavor profile that creates caramelisation and this is my easy to make Char Siu BBQ version of that. How do you want to use it? That’s up to you!
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 thumb sized ginger blocks
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp ligth soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 2 tbsp tempeh sambal/fermented tofu
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fleur de sel seasalt
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- Grate your cloves of garlic and ginger and add them to a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix it up.
- The tempeh sambal is optional but i highly recommend something in that direction. Fermented tofu is also a really good option.
Works really well with porkbelly strips.
Calories: 518kcalCarbohydrates: 101gProtein: 16gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 6976mgPotassium: 539mgFiber: 3gSugar: 80gVitamin A: 16IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 121mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.