Summer is almost over, and that’s when in the Netherlands we prepare for winter, and we need some bacon in the fridge. We use it for our split pea soup and sauerkraut.You better do what we do and make some bacon before the really cold weather kicks in.
- 1 kg pork belly
- 1 cup colorozo salt
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 cup whiskey
- 1 cup apple molasses
- Take notice that the amounts of ingredients are based on one kilo of pork belly. If you have a bigger cut of pork belly, you have to multiply the amount of ingredients.
- Mix the colorozo salt, sugar, whiskey and apple spread and put this with the pork belly in a ziplock bag.
- Close the bag and put it in the fridge for 7 days, and flip it every day.
- After 7 days, you take the pork belly out of the bag and rinse it under cold running water. Then you pat it dry with some paper towel.
- Fire up your smoker to an indirect temperature off 110°C/230°F. Put the pork belly in the smoker, stick a thermometer in the meat and close the lid.
- Smoke the pork belly to a core temperature of 65°C/149°F. Take it out of the smoker and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting the bacon into thin slices.
Calories: 6617kcalCarbohydrates: 211gProtein: 93gFat: 531gSaturated Fat: 193gPolyunsaturated Fat: 57gMonounsaturated Fat: 247gCholesterol: 720mgSodium: 322mgPotassium: 1857mgSugar: 211gVitamin A: 100IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 52mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Masterbuilt for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.