I had a friend visit who was an expert in Indonesian cuisine and wanted to make something special. I made Sambal Badjak and used that as a marinade for chicken.
It worked out great and I want to share the recipe with you. Don’t be afraid it will to be too hot. The heat flattens when the chicken gets grilled and all that stays is the flavor.
- 1 kilo of chickenwings
For the sambal badjak
- 3 tomatoes
- 4 red chili peppers
- 4 rawit peppers
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 shallots
- peanut oil
- 1/2 tbsp of palm sugar
- 1 tsp of trassi
- 1 thumb-size piece of fresh laos
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 1 tbsp of tamarind paste
- 100 ml of water
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters. Take off the stems of the chili peppers and cut them into chunks. Do the same with the Rawit peppers.
- Cut the shallots in half and leave the garlic cloves as they are.
- Place a large pan on the fire and fry it all in some peanut oil. Keep stirring until it all goes soft.
- Put it all in a blender and puree it to a sauce and put it back in the pan.
- Ad the palm sugar, trassi, the fresh laos, a broken stalk of lemongrass, and the tamarind paste.
- Place the pan back on the fire and let it simmer slowly. ad 50 ml of peanut oil and 100 ml of water and stir it for 15 minutes till the flavors blend and the sambal thickens. Take out the lemongrass and the laos and let it cool.
- Season the chicken wings with salt and pour the marinade over the chicken. Let this marinate for 2 to 4 hours in the fridge.
- Fire up the grill to a temperature of 120°C (248F) and place the chicken wings over direct heat until the fat renders down. This will take maybe one hour. Then you slide them away from the direct heat so they can get some color.
- Let the chicken cool a little and dig in. If you want to serve something special you can deep fry them so they crispen up.
Big thanks to Napoleon Grills for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.