This is the most extreme steak I could cook. We found an ox heart at our butcher. You think this must be horrible to eat but you are in for a surprise.
This lean meat is really amazing. After this video, I’m sure all the ox hearts will be sold out for a couple of weeks.
- 1 Ox hart
- Fleur de sel
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 100 grams of Green chickpeas
- Parmesan cheese
- 50 grs of Butter
For the dry rub
- 1 part fleur de sel
- 1/2 part paprika
- ¼ part turmeric
- 1/8 cardamom
- 1/8 Nutmeg
- 1/8 Cinnamon
- 1/8 Garlic
- 1/8 ginger
- We start by mixing the ingredients for the dry rub. We are going to use it for the ox heart steak and the stuffed sweet potatoes. Using the BBQ rub on the steak and in the side dish will make the flavors match better.
- Then we wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil and roast them at 180°C (356F) for one hour until they are soft. Open up the foil and let the potatoes cool.
- In the meantime, cook some chickpeas and roast the bell pepper over an open fire until it’s black and soft.
- Let the bell pepper cool and get rid of the black skin, deseed it, and then dice it.
- When the potatoes are cool to touch, you cut the cap and scoop out the soft inside. Make sure not to perforate the skin.
- Get rid of 1/3 and put the rest in a bowl. Mix this with the butter, bell pepper, the peas, 2 tsp of the dry rub, and some grated Parmesan cheese. Stuff the potatoe skins with the mix.
- Now we are going to prepare the ox heart. We trim out all of the insides and cut steaks from the rest. Just watch the video on how to do this. Otherwise, ask your butcher to do it for you.
- Score the fat cap both ways to maximize the surface, so it renders down easily. Sprinkle on some salt and rub it in.
- Sprinkle an even layer of the dry rub on the other side. The hart is super lean and has a mineral flavor. The BBQ rub will help to form a crust which, with lean meat, is really hard to get.
- Grill the steaks over direct heat to a core temperature of 54°C (129F) and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- While the steaks rest, we heat up the stuffed potatoes to be served at the same time.
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.