When you are looking for a hart warming Italian beef stew, then ossobuco is what you are looking for.
I used the best veal shanks and made my own chicken broth. This is the best way i know to make ossobuco.
For the chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 carrots
- 800 grams of chicken wings
- 3 liters of water
- a handful of fresh parsley
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 18 grams of salt
For the ossobuco
- 400 grams of veal shanks
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 100 grams onion
- 50 ml white wine
- 1 liter of chicken broth
- 30 grams of butter
- 1 tbsp flour
Fort the gremolata
- a handful of cut fresh parsley
- 3 finely cut garlic cloves
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Start a smoker and smoke the chicken wings for 45 minutes low and slow.
- To make the chicken broth, ad the wings to a pot of boiling water and add the vegetables, peppercorns, bay leaf, and salt. Let this cook and reduce for 45 minutes to an hour until you have 1 liter of chicken broth.
- Next, you grill the veal shanks to create a crust. Then put them in a pan with a little bit of butter and white wine and top it off with the chicken broth. Let this simmer till the meat is super tender. Just keep adding all the chicken broth when it reduces.
- When the veal shanks are done ad a little lump of butter and some flour to make a delicious sauce from the remaining broth in the pan.
- take a clean pan and fry the parsley, garlic, and lemon zest in some olive oil.
- Serve the ossobuco with some risotto and the fried gremolata.
Big thanks to Napoleon Grills for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.