If you like your chicken sweet with garlic, ginger and soy flavours, then you love chicken teriyaki. And you don’t have to go to a restaurant to get it. You can make it yourself.I am going to show you how to turn a supermarket chicken into Japans most delicious recipe.
How well is this recipe
- 1 piece whole chicken free-range
- 8 cloves garlic
- 4 piece ginger thumb size
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- Cut the backbone out of the chicken and flatten it out with the skin side down in front of you. Then you cut out the whole skeleton with a flexible fillet knife. Save the bones to make a stock out of it.
- Put the garlic cloves, and ginger in the cup of a blender. Pour in the oil and grind this down to a smooth paste.
- Rub this paste into the chicken and sprinkle on some sea salt and ground black pepper. Let this sit while you fire up your barbecue. We are going to grill the chicken over low direct heat. 150ºC/300°F will do just great.
- Put the chicken with the skin down on the grates and let this grill until you see some color on the skin. Then you flip it and close the lid. Keep an eye on the chicken to prevent it from burning.
- When the chicken reaches a core temperature of 75ºC/167°F, you take it off the grill to rest.
- Put a pan on the fire and pour in the soy sauce. Let this come up to temperature and take it off the heat. Stir in the mirin and the raw cane sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Dip the grilled chicken in the teriyaki sauce and ensure that the whole chicken is covered in the sauce. Now you can serve the teriyaki chicken.
Calories: 892kcalCarbohydrates: 79gProtein: 36gFat: 46gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 16gMonounsaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 1356mgPotassium: 413mgFiber: 1gSugar: 61gVitamin A: 267IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 33mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.