In Finland there is a dish called kaalikääryleet, which I would luckily much easier to make than pronounce and is very tasty. I converted this classic dish to a real tasty BBQ side dish.
- 1 piece cabbage
- 2 pieces carrots
- 1 piece onion
- 200 grams bacon strips
- 100 grams basmati rice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Overcook the rice until it gets sticky. You’ll need it to be sticky to let it hold it shape. To make this happen. Cook the rice for the indicated time on the package and then add another 2 minutes or more until it’s sticky.
- Fry the bacon until it’s crisp.
- Chop fine the carrots, onion and 3 leaves of the cabbage. Fry these ingredients in the fat of the bacon until they turn soft.
- Mix the fried vegetables with the rice and season it with salt and pepper.
- Cook the cabbage in water for 5 minutes, so the leas have turned soft.
- Peel off the cabbage leaves and wrap the sticky rice in the leaves. Tie the cabbage roll up with some butchers twine. Or use a grill clamp.
- Slowly roast the Cabbage rolls until the outside has a beautiful charred color on it.
Calories: 368kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 11gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 384mgPotassium: 556mgFiber: 6gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 325IUVitamin C: 85mgCalcium: 107mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Polar Grilli for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.