Your rotisserie isn’t only for grilling chicken. I made proper Greek gyros on my rotisserie. We used authentic greek gyros spices and the juiciest pork.
This recipe is fantastic for feeding a large group of hungry friends. When there are leftovers and I dowd that, you can keep it in the fridge and warm it up a few days later.
- 2 kilos of pork neck
- 1 big onion for the base
- 2 onions for grating
- 3 cloves of garlic
- a handful of chopped chives
- a handful of chopped fresh oregano
- juice of half a lemon
- 4 tbsp of store-bought gyros rub
- pita rolls
For the tzatziki
- 1 cucumber
- 1 clove of garlic
- juice of half a lemon
- half a liter of greek yogurt
- salt and pepper for seasoning to taste
- olive oil
- Slice up the pork neck in thin slices of about 1/4 inch thick. Lay the slices next to each other on your work surface.
- Grate the onions and garlic cloves and brush this over the meat. Sprinkle on the chopped chives and oregano and the lemon juice. Finish with the gyros rub.
- Take the spit and place the first skewers. Stick half an onion on these skewers and stack on the slices of pork. Make sure to spread them, so you don’t have big chunks of meat on one side of the spit. Finish with the other half of the onion and secure it with the other skewer.
- Start your grill with indirect heat and a temperature of 140°C (284F). This way, we let the meat come slowly to a core temperature of about 55°C (130F).
- In the meantime, you can make the tzatziki by grating the cucumber and a clove of garlic. Add the lemon juice and the Greek yogurt. Season it with salt and pepper and finish it with a drizzle of olive oil to make it creamy. Place the tzatziki in the fridge so the flavors can develop.
- When the meat reaches a core temperature of about 55°C (130F), you can place the spit above direct heat. if your grill has a backburner, then this is the time to use it.
- When the outside of the pork is roasted, place an oven tray under the meat and slice of the crispy bits. Let the rest roast while you make the first gyros sandwich.
- Slice open a pita roll, put some lettuce in and stuff it with the grilled gyros and a scoop of tzatziki.
Big thanks to Napoleon Grills for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.