Dutch people do all kinds of weird stuff with food. But this recipe is as weird as it is brilliant. In the Netherlands, we’ve got maybe a hundred kinds of deep-fried snacks and the frikandel is probably the most popular.Frikandellen are deep-fried chicken/pork sausages. Usually eaten with lots of mayonnaise, ketchup and raw onions. We saw someone made burnt ends with them and it looked so delicious we had to try it.
- 4 piece frikandellen frozen
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 50 gram butter
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 part salt
- 1 part paprika powder
- 1 part onion powder
- ¼ part garlic powder
- ¼ part curry powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup whiskey
- 1 tbsp dry rub
- Mix the ingredients for the dry rub. Put some mayonnaise on the frozen frikandellen so the rub can stick and sprinkle the rub on all the sides.
- Start your grill with 2 zones and a temperature of 150°C/300°F. Place the frikandellen on the cooler side of the grates and close the lid.
- In the meantime, make the BBQ sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a pan and let it come to a slow simmer.
- When the frikandellen are soft and the rub caramelized you can take them out the grill and cut them in 3 cm pieces.
- Put the parts in aluminium trays with some butter, white sugar and BBQ sauce.
- Put the trays back in the grill and let the sauce get sticky.
Calories: 356kcalCarbohydrates: 51gProtein: 1gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 837mgPotassium: 334mgFiber: 1gSugar: 43gVitamin A: 794IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 77mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Napoleon for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.