Roasting food over an open fire is magical. It gives food a flavor that is not comparable to any cooking style, and I absolutely love it. This recipe is a mix of those magical flavors and the classical flavors of lemon and sage. Get ready to be blown away by the tastiest chicken you ever had.
- 1 piece whole chicken free range
- 1 piece lemon
- 3 twigs sage fresh
- 50 grams butter
- ½ tbsp fleur de sel
- ½ tsp ground penja pepper
- Fire up your grill and a moderate fire which you can hang your chicken next to. You should be able to hold your hand where the chicken will hang. We want the chicken to cook slowly while it gets infused with smoke flavors.
- Make lemon zest out of the lemon, chop fine the sage leaves and mix it with the butter.
- Add half of the salt and the pepper to the butter. The butter should taste a little too salty.
- Rub the lemon sage butter under the skin of the chicken. Make an incision in the skin on the legs, so you can get some of the butter there as well.
- Stick a thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken and hang it next to the fire
- Check every 10 minutes if the chicken needs to be rotated to get it to cook evenly.
- Once the chicken hits a core temperature of 72°C/160°F, you can take it off the grill and serve it.
Calories: 509kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 36gFat: 39gSaturated Fat: 15gPolyunsaturated Fat: 7gMonounsaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 1099mgPotassium: 409mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 588IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 36mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Polar Grilli for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.