You have two kinds of marinade. One is based on oil and the other on acid. An acidic marinade tenderizes the meat by breaking down the connective tissue. It’s all science.Usually, you use vinegar, lemon juice or even pickle juice as an acidic ingredient in the marinade. I used Red bull and Monster energy as an ingredient because it was the most acidic drink I could find. This marinade is so good, you could bottle it and sell it.
- 2 steak 2 fingers thick
- 1 can Red bull or Monster energy
- 15 ml whiskey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Tabasco habanero
- 1 cup coffee
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade and pour it into a ziplock bag. Put the steak in the bag and close it. Let this marinate for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Take the steak out of the marinade and pat it dry with some paper towel. Then you let it air dry on a cooling rack while you fire up the barbecue.
- We need a barbecue with 2 zones and a temperature of 140°C/284°F for a reversed sear.
- Stick a thermometer in the steak, put it on the barbecue’s cooler side, and close the lid. Now you wait until the core temperature reaches 51°C/124°F. Let them rest and raise the heat in the barbecue.
- Place the steaks above direct heat and grill them for a nice crust. Because you let them rest between, you can slice the steak immediately and season it with some finishing salt.
Calories: 288kcalCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 23gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 198mgPotassium: 372mgFiber: 1gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 24IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 14mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.